09 martie 2016

ICOM IC-7300 MARS/CAP Extended TX modification

Icom IC-7300 wide band modification by PA2DB:



Remove bottom and find the diode matrix (near big chip)
Open RX 0.030-74.8Mhz (REMOVE D416)
Open TX 0.1-74.8Mhz (REMOVE D422) (D419 is and must be in)
** Only Open TX 60Mtr 5.255-5.405Mhz (REMOVE D405) 



73 Marcus PA2DB








Well, I made the mods (both for wide open and for 60 m band and it worked perfectly on an european version with the first firmware.
After flashing the updates, the mod remained there...


A proper modification, at least how I made it, can be watched on the video below.
Check at min 21:00 to see the diode matrix after the mod!



Some words of "wisdom" to read BEFORE you proceed to the mod:


Just like any other mods, beware that you do it on your risk and you loose the warranty!


1. Check the radio to be disconnected from power supply
2. Please, use ESD discharge measures! No kidding, use ESD countermeasures both for your body and for the soldering station!
3. Use a lot of soldering flux! The diodes are very sensitive to high temperature and the solder Flux (I use GEL type) help in reducing the temperature for the areas not touched by the soldering station's tip.
4. Use 60/40 soldering alloy to reduce the melting point for the ROHS solders!
5. Use unsolder braid to clean the PCB pads!
6. Use a good soldering station!
7. Use good tweezers.
8. Use good magnifing glasses AND/OR microscope. The diodes are very very small.

I had some e-mails form a fellow ham who removed the D413 from error and the radio is not working on 6m band! He put the diode back but the radio remains without 6 m band.

I do not know if he fried the original diode but AFAIK, the diode matrix established the country version.
I suggest to put the diodes just as above and do a reflash.

I just test to see if a downgrade to 1.12 (now I have 1.13) is possible and it is!


Just for reference:




6 comentarii:

PE4BAS, Bas spunea...

Good news, tnx. 73, Bas

YO3HJV, Adrian spunea...

And it works...

14RC037 spunea...

, I don't have a good soldering station to do that, but is it possible to remove the diodes with cutting pliers ?

YO3HJV, Adrian spunea...

Of course you can! But you may also destroy the PCB around that diode with unknown results. 73 de Adrian yo3hjv

S spunea...


I used a small flush-cut nipper (wire cutter) to break the necessary diode(s) to open up my IC-7100. Cut the diode in the middle. Had the radio tipped so the pieces of diode would fall out and not cause any problems inside the radio.
Did not have to worry about solder blobs, drips or overheating.

And used my smartphone's camera in macro mode to zoom in and see what I was doing, rather than a magnifying glass or microscope. Also video recorded it so that, if something did not work correctly, I could review it and see what I did wrong. Did an audio commentary as I did it, and thought about posting it on YouTube but never did.

Kept my hand always touching the metal frame of the radio to minimize any chance of static damage.

Everything went well and it works perfectly!

YO3HJV, Adrian spunea...

Very nice! On my gear I take shortcuts but not on those I don't own.

Most viewed posts in last 30 days